Rivalry Renewed: As football season begins, long-held feuds fire up

Photo by: Tami Ocken

Elise Anderson, Staff Writer

For many years, the Nebraska Cornhuskers and Colorado Buffaloes were long-standing rivals, but is that still true? Some believe these two teams are not true rivals anymore. Others believe the rivalry is going strong. Fans of both teams are getting ready and making predictions for the game.

News magazine Athlon Sports and Life predicted Nebraska will win 45-31. College Football News predicted Colorado will win 34-31. Big Red Wrap-Up has three reporters and each of them made a prediction. The first was 34-28 Nebraska, the second was 31-21 Nebraska, and the third was 35-31 Nebraska. It may seem as though these news sources are biased towards Nebraska, but history shows these predictions are accurate.

The teams first played each other on Nov. 17, 1898 in Boulder, Colorado. Nebraska won 23-10.  The rivalry grew during the 1980s, and in 1981, Nebraska had the largest victory (59-0). In the 1990s the teams met 69 times. Out of those 69 games, Nebraska won 49 times, Colorado won 18 times, and the teams tied twice. During the Big 12 Championship in 2001, Colorado won 62-36. This game was one to remember.

Husker fan Tami Ocken will never forget this game, saying, “[My husband] remembers that game better than our wedding!!”

While Nebraska didn’t win the Big 12 Championship game that year, they made it to the National Championship in spite of the loss to Colorado earlier in the season. The two teams played in 2010 with a big win for Nebraska (45-17). This was a big game for the teams, because it was the last game they would play before Nebraska would leave the Big 12 for the Big 10. Ocken also remembers this game and has a shirt with the game’s slogan on it. Her daughter wore the shirt this weekend.

Every game there was a shirt specific to the team we were playing. This was a ‘see ya’ later Colorado, we are heading to the Big 10, which was and still is viewed as a better conference,” said Ocken. “It was like a ‘see ya later suckers’.”

This weekend, the old rivals played again. Nebraska was weak at the start with two turnovers. As the first half progressed, Nebraska scored three consecutive touchdowns. At halftime, the score was 21-17 Nebraska. The fans at this game went wild. The stadium was electric with old fans revisiting a lost rivalry.

In the second half, the score was 28-27 Nebraska until about the last minute when Colorado scored a touchdown. The final score of the game was 33-28 Colorado.

If Nebraska’s rivalry with Colorado is back, as many fans say, then who is Southeast’s rival? Southwest. On Aug. 31, Southeast and Southwest played their second game of the season against each other. Southeast won 22-13. Many students think that Southwest is the No. 1 rival of Southeast and vice versa.

“The rivalry is probably one of the biggest in Lincoln,” senior Anna Keester said. “It’s been going on for way longer than I’ve been here. The Silverhawks (or Silverchickens according to Southeast students) is one of the Knights’ biggest rivals similar to Colorado being one of Nebraska’s biggest rivals. “The Southeast vs. Southwest football game is always the biggest one and the most exciting game of the year, and everyone’s just the most hyped for that,” Keester said. “It’s just the favorite game to go watch.”