LSE students find joy in Railyard ice skating rink

Photo Cred: Unsplash.com

Lilly Young, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Railyard ice skating rink in downtown Lincoln, located specifically at 350 Canopy St., is a popular winter entertainment location for families and hosts many well-known local holiday events.

LSE Senior Mariah Sears has been a roller derby skater since she was 12 and has ice skated since she was 4. Going to the Railyard Ice Skating rink and the John Breslow center has been a weekly occurrence since she was young.
“I like that [The Railyard] has their little shops inside and you can always get snow cones in the winter,” Sears said. “That’s kind of weird, but it’s super fun.”

This year, the ice skating rink opened on Monday, Dec. 3, after a delay on Nov. 30 because of inclement weather. Admission for the rink is free, but skate rentals are $6 for children and $9 for anyone over the age of 12. It is open seven days a week, but in January, the rink will be closed on Monday nights due to the Broomball League, which plays there.

However, the rink is open until midnight on both Fridays and Saturdays.  Around the rink are popular restaurants such as Buffalo Wings and Rings and Gate25 but it is also near Rocket Fizz, Maize Popcorn Company, and Hiro 88.

“They always have movie nights where they play movies up on the screen,” Sears said. “I really like the cold and so it’s always super fun. I also like teaching people how to skate, like we have a lot of younger cousins…. Teaching my friends how to skate is always pretty funny to watch.”

Originally opened in Dec. of 2013, the Railyard rink in the Haymarket is the only outdoor ice skating rink in Lincoln, making it unique and a place that many flock to for fun winter activity and a few hot beverages in one of the surrounding restaurants.