Swimming team participates in annual hair bleaching

Averie Frye

The girls also like to come and join the fun bleaching the guys’ hair.

Alyssa Johnson, Photography Editor

On Feb. 5, seven committed swimmers from the boy’s swim team met in the hospitality room by LSE’s pool and gathered around a small box on a table — a  bleaching set.

Photo Cred: Averie Frye
Seniors Walter Turner (left) and Brett Foster (right) bleach a teammates hair.

A short time later, senior Walter Turner, along with the six other swimmers, emerged from the room, proudly sporting their newly bleached hair.

Although it is unknown when exactly this tradition began, it has always served as a great way to bring the team together.

Turner believes this tradition began as a way to pay homage to swimmer’s hair that is already damaged due to being in the chlorine frequently. No matter how it began, it always brings an excitement to him and the team.

“To me it means that it’s championship season. It’s time for fast swims.”

Turner has followed in the footsteps of his older brother, Abram, who also bleached his hair eight years ago. It’s become a fun tradition and a great way to bond right before conferences. Turner hopes people keep doing it.

Who exactly bleaches their hair? It’s tradition for the boy’s first year on the team to participate. After that, it becomes optional. Turner has chosen to keep with it to build team morale, as well as encourage other teammates to join in. Plus, he says it doesn’t change his already-light hair.

The night before the bleaching, the swimmers pick up a bleach set from a store that you simply mix with water and then add to the hair. Those who choose not to have their own hair bleached are still able to participate by helping bleach their teammates. This allows the whole group to be involved.

“It’s pretty informal, and it’s probably not a very good [bleach job], but it works,” Turner said.

The whole bleaching process can be nerve-wracking to freshmen.

“Usually they don’t want to [bleach],” Turner said. “Then they end up doing it anyways.”

Freshman Alex Lee rose to the task, although he was skeptical about it.

“I was a little worried about it in the beginning,” Lee said. “But it was fun.”

Lee has been swimming for the majority of his life, so it was no surprise that he chose swimming as his extracurricular activity for his first year in high school. He enjoyed taking the tradition into his own life and fully indulging with his new teammates.

“[Bleaching my hair] is just being part of the team,” Lee said.

Southeast is known for its traditions, and hopefully the annual hair bleaching will continue to stand out with each new group of freshmen.