LSE’s Tampon Drive successfully completes fourth year

English+teacher+Sara+Danielson%2C+sponsor+of+LSEs+Feminist+Club%2C+poses+with+her+classes+donations+to+the+Tampon+Drive.+

Sophia Merritt

English teacher Sara Danielson, sponsor of LSE’s Feminist Club, poses with her classes’ donations to the Tampon Drive.

Elise Anderson, Staff Writer

For the fourth year in a row, the Feminist Club hosts The Tampon Drive at Southeast. The Feminist Club is led by English teacher Sara Danielson, and aims to collect money donations, tampons, pads, liners and other feminine hygiene products. These products will be donated to the People’s City Mission, and some of the donated proceeds will also go to Nebraska flood victims. The drive began the week of March 25, and was extended until Friday, April 5.

“The Tampon Drive is important to Feminist Club because menstrual hygiene is usually forgotten about when it comes to drives and other donation-based events. People aren’t as educated on how it works, and they don’t see how essential those products are,” Feminist Club member Helen Howard (12) said. “Having a tampon or pad during your period is just as important as owning a toothbrush or owning clean clothes, and this is something many people don’t fully grasp when they hear about the drive.”

Howard has been involved in Feminist Club since her freshman year and has been an officer for two years. Howard encourages everyone to join the club. The Tampon Drive is important to her because she was involved in the very first drive.

“I loved the sense of community I was able to gain when I joined. Being able to do something so community-involved and hands-on was something I loved about the club and why I kept going back,” Howard said.