New team, same dream

As many say farewell to youth and high school sports on Senior Night, a group of Southeast Seniors say hello to a whole new world of athletic opportunity

Reis Jensen, Sports Editor

From the first crack of the bat in the backyard, carpet burns from knee-football in the house, or houseware broken by soccer balls, a life of athletic-ambition evolves from humble beginnings for many young aspiring athletes. Millions of kids around the nation and world alike find themselves picking up a ball or piece of athletic equipment, quickly captivated with a new-found sport. Over the years, the sport grows, not just on them, but through them, becoming an ever bigger part of their lives. House-play quickly turns into organized practice with a team. Practice turns into development. By high school, after years of devotion and growth, athletes reenvision their childhood ambitions with a simple hope to play their beloved sport a little longer and compete past high school.

Every year, a group of LSE seniors follow this dream and create a path for themselves towards the collegiate playing field. For the class of 2019, a long list of seniors, from just about every sport, will be moving on to play at the next level. Even before the 2020 academic year commences, these students will trade in former Knights uniforms for new collegiate ones, symbolizing an astonishing athletic accomplishment. However, this step is no small feat. Only 7.4 percent of high school athletes go on to play their respective sports in college, according to Scholarship Stats, with certain sports having even smaller percentages. At Southeast, this statistic includes Volleyball player Cecily Liphardt (12), Baseball player Logan Van Treeck (12) and two-sporter (Football & Baseball) Devin Trumbley (12).

Even though making it to college seems hard enough, it isn’t the only daunting factor with the recruiting process. Sometimes finding the perfect school for an athlete can be just as strenuous. In fact, the recruiting process for athletes like Liphardt, Trumbley, and Van Treeck began well before their senior year, and at times started several years prior.

“I started taking [college] visits as a sophomore,” Liphardt said. “I took about four or five, the summer going into my junior year.” By getting out to the universities, Liphardt got a feel for what the new life on campus would be like. Her visits focused on schools that offered a good psychology program and ones that were financially suitable. This exposure led her into finding a great college fit in Oskaloosa, Iowa. During the latter part of her senior high school volleyball season, Liphardt committed to William Penn University. Similar to Liphardt, Van Treeck’s recruitment started well before his senior year.

“A couple summers ago, [LSE Base- ball Coach] Jones said a couple of colleges contacted him about me maybe playing baseball,” Van Treeck said. Afterwards, the short list of schools quickly expanded for the senior. Having the talent to play the D1 level, the most prestigious athletic division in college, Van Treeck had a wide range of options as to what school he would take his talents to. However, the 2018 Super- State pitcher took a liking to Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee.

“Lipscomb just felt like the perfect fit,” Van Treeck said. “It’s a private Christian university which I value that a lot.” Having found a strong interest for Lipscomb, Van Treeck was certain with his plans for college. For baseball and the scholarship process, a decision would have to be made before the start of his baseball season senior year, but Van Treeck had his heart set on Lipscomb and committed to the school in August of 2018, well in advance of that deadline.

The timeline for Van Treeck’s recruiting process is pretty typical for a college athlete, however not all circumstances take place a years in advance. Trumbley proves that transitioning to college athletics is not hopeless with late-starting students. In fact, finding the perfect school is still quite achievable. He first started looking for colleges the beginning of his senior year while playing football.

“Back at the beginning of fall during football season, I’d go on the weekends and look at colleges,” Trumbley said. His first college contact started with Cornell University for baseball. However, one university gave him an offer that was impossible to turn down.

As both a baseball and football player, Trumbley preferred a school that would allow him to play both of his beloved sports. Through his contact with Nebraska Wesleyan University his dream to do such slowly came to fruition.

“[Nebraska] Wesleyan was going to offer me both,” Trumbley said. Being able to play and commit to one sport in college is a challenging enough, but playing two makes Trumbley a rare commodity for collegiate athletics. Trumbley confirmed this decision back in February of 2019, when he announced his football and baseball commitment to the Lincoln based university.

With the majority of the hard work now behind them, athletes still face the struggle of leaving high school. For many, leaving home will be a challenge, but one that many are excited for.

“It’s going to be difficult leaving my hometown,” Liphardt said. By the first day of classes, Liphardt and Van Treeck will be 4 and 12 hours away from home, respectively. Both can also agree that leaving behind friends, teachers and family is something that will take time to get used to.

However, current Nebraska Wesleyan soccer player, Izzy Dragoo, can confirm adjusting to college life is not as bad as it might seem.

“College is a whole different experience that is super fun and competitive,” Dragoo said. Although she admits the time commitment towards school and sport increases, college is nothing to be scared of. She does advise however to stay on top of academics and personal planning both in season and out.

“Having so much to balance just means that I have to have a schedule and stick to it to get things done.”

The jump to college athletics proves to be a mix of anxiety as well as anticipation. Athletes completing this feat have gone through countless hours every week since their childhood preparing for moments like this. Finally, that moment has arrived. The kids who once fell in love with a sport, ultimately approach their final goal, to play after high school. But as these students leave the familiar courts and fields of LSE, they take with them an appreciation and gratitude for their high school experiences.

“I’ll love the memories forever just because this team’s been so fun to be with,” Van Treeck said.