Southeast students showcase their Knight Pride during Spirit Week

Walking down the hallway this week, someone who isn’t in tune with the LSE community may wonder what is up with students’ sense of style. Wearing a onesie to school or layering all the denim items in your closet may seem like a fashion faux pas, but this week it means you are promoting school spirit for LSE’s Spirit Week.

Every day of Spirit Week students can dress up for the day’s theme. This year, students get to enjoy a Lazy Day of Monday (a staff favorite, too!) and prepare for a new theme-day of Fashion Disaster on Friday.

• Monday: Lazy Day
  • Tuesday: USA Day
  • Wednesday: Denim Day
  • Thursday: Knight Pride
  • Friday: Fashion Disaster

The themes were decided by Student Council after being put through a rigorous two weeks of voting. Taylor Washburn (11), STUCO Secretary, explained that the process they go through to pick the themes for Spirit Week can sometimes be stressful. She said that Mondays are always going to be lazy day and the day of the homecoming football game is always going to be Knight Pride, but the other three are for them to decide.

“You need to pick the ideas, advertise, make posters, and make sure people know about it,” Washburn said. After student council chooses the other three themes, they narrow it down to two, and then put it on Twitter for the rest of the school to decide.

“This year my favorite theme is Denim Day,” Washburn said. “I think USA Day is going to be pretty popular [too].”

Although they do spend a lot of time deciding on themes, there are always a few favorites that don’t make the cut. Some themes that didn’t make it this year include: Vine/Meme Day, Flannel Day, Class Colors, Tie Dye Day and Twin Day.

The goal for the themes is “[to make them] anything people can participate in,” so STUCO needs to make sure that each theme they pick will reach a wide range of students. STUCO and administration also have to take distractions into consideration when deciding themes. While spirit week can be fun and exciting, classes are still in session and should carry on as usual.

“If you choose the right themes, I think spirit week just ups people’s attitudes,” Washburn said.