The Clarion

OPINION: Teenagers should join the workforce

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nolan Hemmett, Staff Writer

The teenage years for people are very important to a person’s future. You usually get a car, you start to act different, you become more of an adult. That is why I believe it is so important that teens get a job as soon as they can. They get prepared for the real-world and life of an adult, and teens get valuable work experience that will help them in future jobs.

Preparation for adult life is so important to accomplish in your teenage years. Personally, I work two jobs. I am a cashier at Scheels and I work concessions at Nebraska football games. I have been doing concessions for four years and it’s a great way to make some extra cash on the weekends. Surprisingly, that job  has taught me a few things; because it is so competitive, anything you can do to make customers come to you instead of other guys who are selling the same thing is important. I also am really fast at giving back change. Scheels is a whole ‘nother animal. In my opinion, Scheels is the best place to work, period. But it was hard to get into the place. It took three interviews to get a job as just a part-time cashier, one on the phone and two in-person.

My parents have done a great job in teaching me very valuable things that I will use in my adult life, such as opening a checking and savings account and how to use a debit card wisely. So, I encourage you to get your parents and ask them about how to get a part-time job or how to make a resume. It might be boring but it will definitely will be worth it in the long run.

As I described in the previous paragraph, work experience goes a long way when it comes to new hires. If you think you don’t have any, then you are most likely wrong. I don’t know a single kid my age who hasn’t mowed a lawn for someone,  raked leaves or done any sort of house sitting/babysitting. Anything to fill that work experience slot on a resume is great. The earlier that you can get a job the better. I got my first job when I was 12 and I never regretted it. Jobs teach you things you can use throughout your entire life that no classroom can teach you. Getting hands-on experience is one of the best teachers out there.

Jobs for teens are very important because not only is money usually tight when you become a teen, but the amount you learn and the experience is great for future employers. Having a job now and holding one for awhile is what most employers are looking for these days. Good employees will be valuable for any employer. So next time your dad tells you angrily to, “Get a job,” maybe heed his advice.

About the Writer
Nolan Hemmett, Staff Writer

Nolan Hemmett is a junior at Lincoln Southeast and a Clarion Staff Writer. He is in his first year on staff and is looking forward to the experience. Hemmett...