Humans of LSE: David Peters

Landon Heller, Staff Writer

“I always loved school growing up. I felt like school was a place where there were a lot of people who were committed to community and making the world a better place. When I got to college, like a lot of college students, I was idealistic and saw that much of the jobs available involved taking advantage of somebody or trying to sell someone something that they don’t need and I knew I didn’t want to be a part of that. I was really interested in the Social Sciences so I came back to public education,” Southeast Social Studies teacher David Peters said.

Peters is a teacher who strives to make an impact in his students’ lives and in the world around him. “I like many aspects of my work, mainly that I feel like I am part of a system that is doing real good in the world; that we are trying to help people out, not just trying to turn a dollar,” Peters said.

The classes he enjoys teaching the most are Geography, Government Politics and US History. Peters enjoys studying things that have relevance to the present and to the future. “I am not here to honor the dead presidents, but to try to help kids understand the patterns and themes that will be useful in understanding the world today.”

One of the great things about going to Southeast High School is having teachers like Peters who are committed to helping students think outside of the box and develop skills that will be useful in their everyday lives.

“I hope my students better understand the world they’re living in. Again, it’s not that we’re studying history for the sake of history, but that we apply those themes to the modern world or apply them to the future. I hope students learn those critical thinking skills. Media skills are important today, I just hope to make it relevant to the students.”