The Clarion

Winter Running: Not for the faint of heart

From+left+to+right%2C+Abby+Cawley+%2812%29%2C+Lewis+Reimer+%2810%29%2C+Lorenzo+Silverio+%2810%29%2C+and+Lane+Nollendorfs-Miller+%2812%29+stretch+after+a+chilling+run.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

From left to right, Abby Cawley (12), Lewis Reimer (10), Lorenzo Silverio (10), and Lane Nollendorfs-Miller (12) stretch after a chilling run.

Mackenzie Toomey

Mackenzie Toomey

Mackenzie Toomey

Mackenzie Toomey, Staff Writer

While most students can’t stand to walk from school to their cars in the winter time, one small group of students at LSE choose to put hard work first and muster the courage to run in the cold.

LSE Winter Running runs in the bitterest weather. It is mainly a student-led off-season program involving Cross Country and Distance Track athletes who want to improve their talent  for the upcoming Track and Cross Country season. Senior Cross Country and Track athlete, Lane Nollendorf-Miller says that there is basically no off-season.. “You got to put in work during the winter or you’re not going to be as good as you want to be in the spring.”

Everyday after school, Winter Running runs around four to six miles depending on the weather. If it is lower than 10 degrees, then it is a no-go for running outside. However, they aren’t finished after their run in the arctic weather. When they get back to school they stretch, do a set of ab workouts and occasionally lift as well.

Some people may question the sanity of people who willingly run outside in below-freezing temperatures, but somehow it doesn’t affect them.

“I think it’s insane to spend time outside in the cold, but it’s not insane to run in it, because how is it insane to be doing something you love?” senior runner Abby Cawley said.

Nollendorf-Miller agrees. “I enjoy it, the feeling after you get done running is so satisfying. You know you are staying in shape and will be ready for the season.”

After a long winter of training, both Cawley and Nollendorf-Miller are ready for the spring season. They both expect to compete in the mile, two mile and occasionally the four by eight

“Everyday is an opportunity to do what you like and we like to run,” Cawley said.

About the Writer
Mackenzie Toomey, Staff Writer

Mackenzie is a Junior at Lincoln Southeast High School. She competes for the school in cross country, basketball, and track. She participates in church...