Krueger honored with LPS “Thank You Teacher” award

Photo Cred: Lincoln Journal Star

Ashley Cole, Design Editor

“I don’t do what I do for recognition. I do it because I love what I’m doing.”

— Julie Krueger

Julie Krueger is a well-known and well-liked English teacher here at Southeast who is constantly improving and inspiring our school. Her work has not gone unnoticed either, as she recently won the LPS High School Thank You Teacher award.

This award is given out each year to one elementary, middle, high school and retired teacher from LPS who is nominated by one of their current or former students. This was an exciting surprise for Krueger because she wasn’t even aware that she was being nominated for something like this. Junior Trinity Babcock sent in a letter explaining how much Krueger had inspired and had an impact on her.

Krueger said she was “very humbled that a student would take the time to write about me,” and “really appreciates Trinity for her letter and her kind words.”

Krueger has been at Southeast now for 20 years. She first did her student teaching at Southeast with English teacher Dianne Kuppig and then was hired on as a teacher. Krueger admitted teaching didn’t always come naturally for her and it took her a few years to really feel comfortable with doing it.

“When my own children started attending school, I would often hear stories about some of their favorite teachers and the projects and lessons that would have impacts on them.  That really made me reflect a lot about how I wanted to approach teaching myself. This was a real turning point for me in my career,” Krueger said. “I am so grateful for the number of teachers and coaches who have been such positive influences on my own kids over the years and who have modeled good teaching for me in the process.”

Along with being an English teacher, Krueger sponsors the Random Acts of Kindness Club. She had gotten involved with the club as a fluke when the sponsor for Students Together Against Cancer transferred to a different district. Then, after two years of sponsoring that club, the name changed to Random Acts of Kindness.

The club aims to “do whatever acts of kindness kids want to do whether it be for community, Southeast or individuals,” Krueger said. Recently, she helped raise money for this year’s Dunks for Dollars and the club has done numerous other things to help the Southeast community. Krueger has done a lot for this school and will continue doing more in the years to come.

“I don’t necessarily like the limelight,” Krueger said. “I want my students and my kids to be humble, so [winning the Thank You Teacher Award] was definitely out of my comfort zone.”