LSE Girls Varsity Basketball’s season ends after they fall to Bellevue East

Caitlynn Cook, Copy Editor

The Lincoln Southeast Knights girls varsity basketball team fell to the Bellevue East Chieftains, 34-51, at Bellevue East High School on Monday, Feb. 24, in an A-2 district game.

In the second quarter of the game, the Chieftains used an 18-8 run, setting them up for victory.

According to LSE point guard Mackenzie Toomey (12), the Knights had more preparation for Monday night’s game than usual, including an extra practice.

“We had a practice Sunday, which we usually don’t have, and we had a team dinner and team bonding before,” Toomey said.

While Toomey believes that the team’s defense was good, she also believes that the team should’ve been more confident in taking shots.

“We only took [about] four shots a quarter, and you can’t score a lot [with that amount],” Toomey said.

Monday’s game ended the girls’ season with an overall record of 1-22.

“It wasn’t the outcome that any team wants — a losing season — but, I’ve had more fun this year, with the teammates and everyone, because they’re all a bunch of really awesome girls,” Toomey said.

While the girls’ season has come to an end, the LSE boys varsity basketball team’s season is still in full swing. The Knights (13-10) will host the North Platte Bulldogs (9-13) in an A-1 district game at LSE on Saturday, Feb. 29, at 3:30 p.m.