Why the class of 2021 has it worse than the class of 2020

Andrew Neel

Photo by Andrew Neel on Unsplash, edited with Canva

Tyler Vander Woude, Staff Writer

It began with LPS announcing that spring break would be extended by a week. Which was followed by athletes hoping to be back in time for sports. Then, the messaging changed: “School will be online for the rest of the year… let’s start off summer with a quarantine…. Masks. Are. Mandated.” 

As summer faded and school was to resume, COVID-19 was just as prevalent as ever. Not to worry though, it was revealed that students would attend in a hybrid schedule. However, a return to school did not mean a return to normal. The class of 2021 would, again, be subjected to lost experiences and opportunities, unrivaled by the class of 2020.

Not only have the 2021 seniors experienced what 2020 seniors did, but after a difficult summer filled with new regulations and unrest, 2021 seniors were treated with being allowed back in school only part time. 

Along with already being denied opportunities to bond with fellow students through the 3/2 schedule, the class of 2021 has been turned away from watching their class’s athletics as it seemingly poses too big of a risk. Another part of athletics 2021 seniors have missed out on is college recruiting. By not being allowed to play sports during last year’s spring season,  many athletes have not received offers, and therefore they have not committed to college.

Speaking of college, one thing that is almost unheard of nowadays are college visits. In the past seniors have been able to look forward to checking out their future place of education, but this year’s seniors have been forced to visit campus through a screen, a much less engaging and exciting experience. 

And, this isn’t the only experience they have missed out on. 2021 seniors have yet to have a prom, and a senior year prom isn’t looking very likely, as they are just now allowing seniors to come back full time. 

As this school year nears its final months the 2021 seniors, although slightly disheartened, will remain optimistic as they know there are individuals who are fighting for them.