LSE HOSA hosts spring blood drive

HOSA+members+at+the+check-in+table+for+donors+

HOSA members at the check-in table for donors

Fatima Al-Jayashi, Design Editor

On Thursday, April 8, Lincoln Southeast High School’s (LSE) Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) student organization hosted one of their annual blood drives at school. Every year, LSE students and staff register to donate their blood. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the number of donors had to decrease from 80-90 donors to 30, and the blood drive had to be changed to a mobile unit. Even though the numbers decreased, more than 30 people signed up and showed the spirit of LSE.  

LSE teacher Mary Stauffer, who is also the advisor for LSE’s HOSA chapter, is in charge of running the blood drive. She believes there is great importance in having an opportunity for students to donate blood.

I think it’s important to find a way to give back to our community in some format, and this is a way for that outreach,” Stauffer said. “It also is a great connection for our HOSA student organization to understand the importance of giving within the healthcare field.” 

While donating blood is a great way for people to contribute to their community, many people are not fond of having their blood drawn. Junior Ella Kutilek, who is also an officer for HOSA, sees the experience to not be terrifying but more rewarding. 

“My first time donating I passed out, but knowing I was doing good for my community and saving lives made me feel much better about it,” Kutilek said. “After donating, most students say it wasn’t as bad as they thought it would be.” 

Besides the pokes, donating blood is an essential part in every community. According to the American Red Cross, in every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood. This small action can serve to save multiple lives. Having the blood drive not only helped to give back to the community, it also gave a bloody good time.