LSE students use motion detector for math concepts

Michael Reuss, Photo Editor

LSE Math students took to the hallways on Thursday, Sept. 30, to test out a mathematical theory they had been learning about: How to use motion detectors to measure graphs.  

Students could be seen walking towards and away from the motion detector, then looking to see what the calculator graphed using the formula y=mx+b. 

“The motion detectors were used for students to bring lines to life with a real life application,” Math Teacher Wendi Baus-Herben explained. “The motion detectors gather data on distance over time and create a graph based on the students’ motion. Students had a chance to walk at different rates and see how the line changes. They also tried to create different lines using different walking rates. One student used a skateboard and we talked about how that line will be different from the line of someone walking.” 

The purpose of this activity is to help the students understand the basics of math, as well as to have a little fun. One student said, “Yo, this graph goes up because I was walking away.” Another observed, “The x-value is time, and as time increases, the y-value gets smaller. And that’s because I was walking towards it.” 

The math department came together and obtained/provided this equipment for the students. They thought this would be a great opportunity to teach students and have a little more fun.