OPINION: Archery should be added as an NSAA activity

Photo credit: Unsplash.com

Amiah Robinson, Staff Writer

Archery is an amazing sport that helps students develop confidence, good hand-eye coordination and self-discipline. 

Although there is no school-sponsored Archery Team at LSE, the school has had an outside team coached by Mr. Gerber. 

Other LPS schools have had non-school sponsored teams, possibly due to liability, that helped students learn more about this sport. 

If you or someone you know has been wanting to practice or learn more about Archery, you could potentially join another school’s archery team, or practice at one of the many archery ranges here in Lincoln.

My favorite place to shoot and take classes is at Nebraska Outdoor Education Center (Helen Boosalis Park). They have cheap and affordable classes once a week that last about six weeks where you can learn step by step how to become the best archer you can possibly be. You are sure to get to know some amazing people and form new friendships with your fellow classmates and the instructors are both friendly and supportive. 

The range is open everyday except Wednesday, from noon to eight. And noon to six on Saturday and Sunday. It has both an indoor and outdoor archery range and gun range.
So, if you are planning to get into Archery, this place would be a good place to start. 

There has also been some talk at LSE about a potential Archery Club being held next year, where students can learn more about the sport in school, and possibly outside of school as well. In my opinion, this would be a great opportunity to bring  students who all share that same interest together to form an illuminating community of young archers. 

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of indulging in this fun and amazing sport!