Los Mariachis de la Ciudad Estrella returns for the new school year

Zainib Al-Jayashi, Co-Editor-in-Chief

As school has begun to settle, the many different opportunities of activities start to appear as the new season begins. This fall, one of those activities that will be returning for another year is a one that provides the chance to learn about and participate in the rich tradition of Mariachi music. Los Mariachis de la Ciudad Estrella (The Mariachis of the Star City) ensemble is a mariachi band formed by the district. The band not only grants the chance to collaborate with others, but it also engages students and families into a part of the Hispanic culture. 

Lincoln High School (LHS) music teacher and director of Los Mariachis de la Ciudad Estrella, Brett Noser, has been working for the district for 15 years. From a young age, Noser devoted much of his time to music, but a specific remembrance drove him to the position that he has today. 

“I had an amazing orchestra teacher from fifth to twelfth grade who inspired me and still does [today],” Noser said. 

Noser’s talents grow beyond teaching and directing music; he plays the violin, viola, guitar, banjo and electric bass. Much like the Mariachi band, Noser plays additional Spanish instruments: the vihuela and the charango. 

Noser’s experience with expanding his and others’ knowledge of global music began around six years ago when he started a World Music Ensemble at LHS. The ensemble would surround themselves in the notes of different cultures by playing music from other countries with the instruments that students had; they would decide what instruments to play based on the sound of the timbre of music. 

Los Mariachis began five years ago with the help of the World of Music Ensemble along with the support of the LPS Music Supervisor, Dr. Lance Nielsen. The rationale, though, sparked with the want to spread the appreciation of a part of Latin America’s style of music. 

“I really appreciated the music style of Mexico and Central America, [and I wanted] to help create more opportunities for students to participate in,” Noser said. “It’s for students who want to learn more about and participate in a music culture that they are unfamiliar with.” 

For clarification, Noser describes Mariachi as a style that focuses on string instruments.

“Mariachi shares some relational material with other genres in Mexico,” Noser said. “There are more violins, guitars, vihuelas, guitarrones, and harps; the only wind instruments are usually two or three trumpets.” 

Although joining a group may seem intimidating as it is a new environment with unfamiliar people, the band accepts students from seventh to twelfth grade with open arms, but they must be involved in music.

“As long as a student plays one of the traditional Mariachi instruments and can show up regularly to our weekly rehearsals, they are in,” Noser said. “Generally all Mariachis sing, so it is also important to have at least half of the group be able to sing.”

Rehearsals for the band occur at LHS every Thursday from 4 pm to 6 pm. Rehearsals allow them to expand on their skills as well as prepare for performances around the local area. The band performs all year whenever they get the chance. 

“This year we are playing for the Dia de los Muertos festival, the Latino Scholarship festival, the LPS Music Festival, and the LPS City Tour,” Noser said. “We have also played at the Nebraska State Fair.”

Much of the music performed by the band has more of a traditional sound as it comes from the core of mariachi – Mexico. 

“A lot of the music is traditional songs that are arranged by Mariachi Sol de Mexico, or [songs] that I learned from in the Las Vegas School District,” Noser said. “We also do covers that we learn authentically by memory.” 

Though the students playing the tunes of the genre experience the culture of music first-hand, Noser believes that it is important for everyone to understand the connections music brings. 

“I am happy that I can help students learn more about a music culture that has not been in our schools, and I am so happy that slowly but surely we are including more music cultures in our schools in hopes to include more students,” Noser said. 

Along with some new faces in the band, many returning students had been in the group for around four years, thus building a stronger sense of confidence in their abilities. 

“I’ll kind of let the students guide me and see if there is more that we can do,” Noser said. “I have a strong feeling that this year is going to be even better.” 

Noser’s overall vision for this year is one of expanding their message to places outside of the local area to spread the love of mariachi with others who share the same admiration. 

“We would like to try to find more ways to connect with other towns like Wayne or Omaha that have some mariachis, or [attend] a mariachi festival in the future.” 

Along with Noser, vocal teacher Leila Zila at Culler Middle School is the co-director of Los Mariachis de la Ciudad Estrella. Although this is her third year with the band, she has an important role in the group. 

“She has been a huge asset for us,” Noser said. “She is a singer, amazing on guitar, and a piano player. She is so talented at playing music by ear, [too].”  

Rehearsals for Los Mariachis de la Ciudad Estrella began on Thursday, Sept. 1 for the new school year, but Noser encourages students to stop by if they’re interested in joining. For those who are interested in the band, attend any rehearsal in room 132 (Instrumental Music Room) at LHS or contact Noser at [email protected].