Matilda the Musical

Matilda the Musical is bringing magic to the stage at LSE

Matilda the Musical poster

Mili Kagan, Staff Writer

In 1988, children’s book author Roald Dahl published the book “Matilda”, which would eventually go on to sell around 17 million copies worldwide. The success of “Matilda” facilitated the production of the 1996 movie and eventually the broadway musical adaptation in 2013. The musical would go on to receive various forms of recognition, as well as winning four Tony awards.  The imaginative and captivating storyline of “Matilda the Musical” has kept the story relevant throughout the years, resulting in the release of an additional film on Netflix in December of 2022. 

And now, the Performing Arts Department is bringing “Matilda the Musical” to the Jennifer L. Dorsey-Howley Theater at LSE.

“We wanted to do something a little more modern,” Theater Director Tyler Lambley said. “We also knew with the ‘Matilda’ movie, coming out on Netflix this year, there might be a little bit more excitement around that as well.” 

The musical tells the story of a young girl named Matilda, growing up in a troublesome and neglectful household. Despite this, Matilda is incredibly brilliant and also possesses telekinetic powers which allow her to move things with her mind and alter the events her character encounters throughout the story. 

One aspect of the play that is particularly exciting is that it brings something new to the stage at LSE with its incorporation of magic. Lambley said the crew will need to engineer ways for certain magical scenes to occur. 

“We have to have a cake that just magically disappears,” Lambley said. “Make it look like someone has been thrown by her pigtails over a fence.”

The performances are going to take place from May 4-7; however, students are welcome to get involved in the production prior to then. 

“I think everyone should try [participating in theater] at least once in their life,” Senior at LSE and cast member of the upcoming play, Olivia Jones, said. Getting involved in theater can be a great opportunity for students to get more involved in their school and community, as well as meet new people. 

“We’re gonna have a lot of involvement with building the set on stage and costumes and props and lights and sound and doing all the backstage work as well,” Lambley said. “Even if [students] miss auditions, there’s ways to still get involved and still be a part of creating the magic that is onstage. If you’re interested you just have to show up and we’ll find a place for you. We will take people whenever they’re available.” 

Even if students aren’t able to help produce the play, there are still a variety of reasons that they should attend the performance. 

“Theater is a way to escape reality,” Lambley said. “It’s more so just celebrating life and celebrating individuality.” 

From entertainment, to supporting the cast, crew and talents at LSE, getting tickets for the upcoming “Matilda the Musical” is a great opportunity.

“It’s always a lot of fun. The songs, dancing, obviously, but you also get to see people that you know doing something that you wouldn’t see them necessarily doing in a classroom, and instead on a stage, which I think is really cool,” Jones said.