Uknighted Fundraiser draws large crowd

LSE teachers, staff take to the courts to raise money for charity

Both staff teams, referees and announcer pose for phtoto after the staff game. Photo Credit: Maya Ward

Molly Leyden, Online Editor

On March 22, 2023, LSE’s Dunks for Dollars made a huge comeback in a new form: “Uknighted”. Commons was a bustle of laughter and cheers as games went on. Many families and students moved throughout the space admiring all of the diverse booths. As the night carried on, the commotion continued into Prasch where the gym was filled with support and excitement for the Unified and staff basketball games. 

The annual staff basketball game and fundraiser was postponed from 2020 due to the complications of COVID-19, but it made a brand new comeback this year.

Besides the obvious change in name, Dunks for Dollars to Uknighted, the fundraiser also held a carnival where students and student families could attend and take part in the activities different clubs or extracurriculars held. Although this new change was to help clubs gather more support and publicity from the LSE community, it helped to raise money for specific causes important to the clubs, too.

Another new feature for the event was a Raising Canes catered tailgate at the carnival before the games.

When it came down to the games, Prasch Gym was the same or even fuller than a typical varsity basketball game. The Unified game, which had players from Special Olympics Nebraska, was held before the staff game.

Once the Unified game concluded, the staff game began. Both games were refereed by students and announced by Daniel Dougherty, a former Southeast mathematics teacher. To bring in more participants, the games tied in students through a raffle and a half-time mini game. The staff game was a great way to build a stronger connection between the Southeast community and allowed students to root for their favorite teachers. 

The event raised over $9,000 that will be donated to 10 charities. These charities are Nebraska Live On, the American Heart Association, American Cancer Society, Nebraska Crohns, Lincoln Literacy, the Human Society, People’s City Mission, Special Olympics Nebraska, the Food Brand and CEDARS.

This event was a great comeback for the annual Dunks for Dollars and is sure to continue to be a beloved Southeast tradition.