The Student News Site of Lincoln Southeast High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

The Clarion

The BookTok Trap
The BookTok Trap
June 9, 2024
Forced To Fit In
Forced To Fit In
June 6, 2024
Breaking Barriers
Breaking Barriers
June 4, 2024
Graphic by Jenna Steinke
TikTok Ban
June 3, 2024
Adventures Abroad
Adventures Abroad
May 30, 2024

Historic hallways hold on to history

Evidence of LSE legacies can be found around the school, but most don’t know their significance
Left: Steinke when she started teaching. Middle: Steinke in one of her last years of teaching. Right: Pep Club “bumblebees” at a pep rally. Graphic created on Canva

As students walk down the halls of Lincoln Southeast High School (LSE), they see many emblems, such as the knight mascot and the shield, that have represented the school since its starting years. However, most students don’t know much about how the school acquired the mascots and traditions that are carried on today.

Although LSE was built in 1955, the history of high school education in this area of Lincoln goes all the way back to 1894. At that time, secondary education was provided in the southeastern part of Lincoln by College View High School, which operated from 1894 to 1955. When it became clear that a bigger school was needed for all of the students seeking education in that part of Lincoln, LSE was built, and opened on Sept. 22, 1955, under the leadership of Principal Hazel. G. Scott.

The idea for the knight mascot came from John Gradwohl, who graduated in 1980, and was chosen for its strength and bravery. Gradwohl did research on armor, stage costumes and medieval garb, and during the summer of 1979, the school purchased a suit of plastic gold stage armor. The mascot has changed throughout the years and has become a familiar sight around the school, such as the knight mascot in the cafeteria or in one of the stairwells that connects F and D halls.

A big part of the school is the shield, which was designed in 1955, and is now the official emblem of the school. Out of ten shields submitted by the student body that year, Rich Garlinghouse, John Koenig and Tom Laging designed and submitted the winning design in a contest to find an emblem for the school. The shield has three parts: a knight’s helmet at the top, a scroll beneath and the shield itself in between, divided into four sections. The upper left and lower right sections show the letters “S” and “E” to represent the name of LSE. The upper right section houses six owls, which represent the six classes when LSE first started and was Southeast Junior-Senior High School. The lower left has a sword representing the power, strength and unity of the knight.

Another feature in LSE is the mural in the cafeteria. The mural was created by Reinhold Marxhausen and was officially dedicated on Feb. 11, 1976. In Marxhausen’s words, “When you are a student in high school and have teachers, take courses and get involved in activities which at the time seem useless and even dumb…you are trusting, filling yourself up to the potential you will someday utilize.”

The following poem was written by Marxhausen about the piece:

The progression of shapes, colors, textures

Evolve and change

Darkness is the unknown, untried, the future

Where fear can be the master

But darkness is also the color of hope and trust

Investment of seeds or knowledge are covered

With self or soil

And waiting begins

What good can come of misfits and

Misshapen lives

Like shriveled up pea seeds thrown into dirt

Who knows, now

With hope must be sweat and care

Swearing and tenderness

Tearing and shaping

Work

Turning

Changing

But our plans are not our plans

Interruptions, disaster, death

And all unexpected mysteries

Shape us also

And we live

Faith can give strength

And clean, and renew

And redirect

All preconceptions

With celebrations and fulfillment

Fling out new seeds to others

For new horizons to begin

In hope

And trust

R.P. Marxhausen, 1976