The Student News Site of Lincoln Southeast High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

The Clarion

The BookTok Trap
The BookTok Trap
June 9, 2024
Forced To Fit In
Forced To Fit In
June 6, 2024
Breaking Barriers
Breaking Barriers
June 4, 2024
Graphic by Jenna Steinke
TikTok Ban
June 3, 2024
Adventures Abroad
Adventures Abroad
May 30, 2024

LSE Chamber Orchestra and Jazz Band I play for NMEA

Two talented LSE music ensembles were selected to play at Nebraska Music Educators Association’s annual conference
LSE%E2%80%99s+Jazz+Band+I+poses+for+a+group+photo%2C+within+the+walls+of+Southeast.+++++++++++++++++++++++
Drew Lohrman
LSE’s Jazz Band I poses for a group photo, within the walls of Southeast.

To anybody involved in a local music group, the acronym NMEA might sound familiar. It stands for Nebraska Music Educators Association, a non-profit organization of music educators who provide various opportunities for both students and teachers. Invited to perform for them this year was the LSE Chamber Orchestra and Jazz Band I.

NMEA selects a limited number of choirs, orchestras, bands and ensembles all across the state, so it was an honor for two of Southeast’s musical groups to be selected to play at their annual conference.

On Nov. 17, the Chamber Orchestra stepped out on the stage at the Graduate Hotel in downtown Lincoln, playing for NMEA for the first time in over 25 years. As the result of a blind audition, the group of musicians was invited to showcase their talents in front of a crowd, who praised them with a standing ovation.

They played a variety of complex compositions, including “St. Paul’s Suite for String Orchestra”, “Sunset Hill” and “Overture to Ruslan & Ludmila”.

In order to be a part of the NMEA conference, the LSE Chamber Orchestra had to audition in May, and then perform in November. However, a new school year comes with a new orchestra, meaning that not all of the students who auditioned got to play, and vice versa.

“You [need to] have a strong enough group to audition with, and know that you’re going to have a strong enough group to actually complete the performance,” LSE Orchestra Director Maggie Delaney said.

Being chosen to play twice in a year by two music associations isn’t an easy thing to accomplish, yet the LSE Jazz Band I managed to do so. Earlier in the year, the group was selected to perform for the Nebraska State Bandmasters Association, and just a few months ago they were selected by NMEA. This group started off the morning of Friday, Nov. 17, by playing upbeat music at the Westbrook Musical Building located on the UNL campus, for the NMEA conference. They performed at a level that a considerable amount of practicing brought them to. “Summertime” and “The Southeast Sixstep” were among some of the energetic music pieces they played.

Southeast senior Asher Robinson, who is in both LSE Varsity Orchestra and Jazz Band I, felt truly lucky and honored after his groups were selected for NMEA.

“It’s really cool, because I’ve been in both of these ensembles for four years of high school,” Robinson said. “So being able to grow with both the orchestra and the jazz band, and being able to get to a spot where we’re performing at the highest level and making it to these conventions, is really special.”

In previous years, various other LSE music groups have been selected to perform for NMEA as well, including wind ensemble, percussion ensemble and Ars Nova.

Both of the groups invited to perform this year are select music assemblies. LSE has three jazz bands. Jazz Band II and Jazz Band III are open to any and all students who are wanting to participate and learn more about this style of music, whereas Jazz Ensemble I consists of a group of people who are selected through an audition process.

LSE also has two orchestras, one of them being the Chamber Orchestra. Like any varsity sport or activity, you have to put in lots of hard work and dedication in order to earn your spot.

Additionally, a smaller portion of students from these LSE groups were selected through a similar audition process to be a part of NMEA’s All-State Jazz Band and All-State Orchestra. These all-state groups were given the honor of playing at the Lied Center on Saturday, Nov. 18.

Delaney said she feels really happy with students’ performance, but most importantly, the musicians feel good about their performance. She believes they are a strong group of students, and with that strength comes the ability to critique themselves and feel proud of how they performed.

The LSE Chamber Orchestra members gather for a picture, dressed in their performance attire.
(Drew Lohrman)