The Student News Site of Lincoln Southeast High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

The Clarion

The BookTok Trap
The BookTok Trap
June 9, 2024
Forced To Fit In
Forced To Fit In
June 6, 2024
Breaking Barriers
Breaking Barriers
June 4, 2024
Graphic by Jenna Steinke
TikTok Ban
June 3, 2024
Adventures Abroad
Adventures Abroad
May 30, 2024

LSE musicians make melodies that move

Annual LPS Solo and Small Ensemble Contest allows students to showcase their talents
Photo Credit: Kristina Gevorkova
Kianna Isom (11) practices “O Magnum Mysterium”

Students step one by one into the judges room while soft, melodic rhythms surround the busy environment. Shiny instruments are being prepared for a nerve-wracking performance. The participants shuffle up and brush against the cold handle of the door, working up the courage to showcase everything that they have practiced continuously for hours on end. The anxious students play their hearts out, the notes floating gracefully through the air, engaging the audience with satisfying rhythms. At last, peaceful relief washes over the students like a wave, the performance concluding.

Beginning with learning a song from scratch, to getting judged in a performance, the annual Lincoln Public Schools Solo and Small Ensemble contest brings a great opportunity for students to showcase their musical talents.

The contest, which was held at LSE on Feb. 17 had 48 entries, ranging from vocal solos to percussion groups.  Many students spent months preparing to perform at this unique event. Two of these dedicated students, Joslyn Morgan (9) and Kianna Isom (11), have been eager for this concert to occur to demonstrate their musical skills.

In this year’s Solo and Small Ensemble contest, Morgan is playing a piece called “Quartet Movement” by A. Mitushkin, and Isom is playing a piece called “O Magnum Mysterium” by Morten Lauridsen. With these songs and many other selections from other groups, LSE as a whole scored an average score of two throughout the contest.

Participants have to work around their schedules to find times to prepare for this contest. In Concert Band, LSE Band Director R.J. Meetter, helped out with this process by allowing students to use practice rooms during class to work on their pieces. However, students that are only in Wind Ensemble need to find time to practice their selections outside of class. Doing this takes a lot of time managing all the performers in the groups schedules.

“We are trying to find time to practice all together.” Isom said. “When half of us have jobs and then sports and stuff, managing that time is difficult.”

Organized by the Nebraska School Activities Association (NSAA), all LPS schools have the ability to participate in this contest. In fact, schools from all over the state of Nebraska have a similar contest that occurs in their area, depending on their location.

Participants are permitted to choose any piece of their liking however, any form of pop culture style music pieces should be avoided. In order for educational growth, students need to select a piece that is musically challenging for their level, that showcases their abilities as well.

Scoring in this contest is done by ranking on a scale of one to five, one being the highest score that is possible to obtain. The judge’s sheet looks for numerous musical techniques such as tone, intonation, precision, technique, facility, balance, precision, expression, diction and lastly, stage presence.

This contest also permits students of many different musical backgrounds the opportunity to perform, whether that’s woodwinds, brass, percussion, strings, piano, vocal solos or groups. Participants are given the freedom to choose their pieces, allowing for many creative performances.

Morgan believes that the Solo and Small Ensemble Contest is a great way to step out of comfort zones and get used to being judged.

“It helps you out just with confidence,” Morgan said. “And the more you put yourself out there, the more opportunities you can get.”

Isom, who plays the bass clarinet, also believes that the contest is a great opportunity others should take. Although Isom has only participated in the contest once, they are excited to jump back into the contest and give it another try.

“I did it in seventh grade because it was for a grade and that was the only time I ever did it so I think it’ll be fun to experience it again,” Isom said. “And it’s fun to practice with a group of people that I like and be able to play music with them individually.”

Joslyn Morgan (9) practices her piece “Quartet Movement”
(Photo Credit: Kristina Gevorkova)