The Student News Site of Lincoln Southeast High School

The Clarion

The Clarion

The Clarion

The BookTok Trap
The BookTok Trap
June 9, 2024
Forced To Fit In
Forced To Fit In
June 6, 2024
Breaking Barriers
Breaking Barriers
June 4, 2024
Graphic by Jenna Steinke
TikTok Ban
June 3, 2024
Adventures Abroad
Adventures Abroad
May 30, 2024

A Night in Neon Lights

Months of planning and preparation for Prom lead to a fun night in a new venue
Putoo Too
Students dance at Speedway Banquet Hall, where prom was hosted this year.
Prom Royalty (left to right) Putoo Too, Ruyter Jamison, Drew Lohrman, and Britta Carlson.
Students playing Blackjack at post-prom.

LSE students all came together in their finest attire to celebrate this year’s prom, “A Knight in Neon Lights”, at the Courtyard Banquet Hall on April 6.

A lot of work goes into making this event happen, and that work starts with LSE’s Prom Club. Prom Club Sponsor and LSE English teacher Allyssa Allaire said that this club is open to students from all grade levels who are motivated to prepare for one of the biggest events of the school year.

“[Club members] come up with the theme, decor and help out with ticket sales,” Allaire said.

Starting at the beginning of the school year, the club meets every Club Day after school to plan for the event.

“We start with creating the theme, schedule the venue and DJ, order and create decorations, design tickets and posters for advertising and then begin organizing it all together before the big night,” Allaire said.

The build-up towards prom is a very important experience for all students who are a part of Prom Club. It requires several hours and days of hard work and dedication to make the event possible. However, Allaire finds enjoyment in putting the event together.

“I’ve always enjoyed getting involved with students in other aspects outside the classroom at LSE,” Allaire said. “Taking the opportunity to sponsor Prom Club allows me to work with students in all grades and also see the joy the upperclassmen have during one of their favorite events of the year.”

Moreover, the planning and build-up towards prom is a long and hard process that proves to be worth it in the end.

“Although the planning and budgeting it takes to make prom a success can be stressful, the process is worthwhile knowing that the students in our building look forward to a night of dancing, entertainment and of course seeing if they are the one crowned as royalty,” Allaire said.

One of the students in Prom Club, junior Audrey Robison, has been involved in the club since the beginning of her sophomore year. Robison enjoys being a part of choosing a fun theme and decorating the venue for prom the night of the dance. She gives some insight into the club’s timeline for planning throughout the school year.

“Deciding can be kind of difficult because everyone has different things that we have to run by admin and other stuff like that. It can take a while to get our ideas through to them and sometimes they come back and they don’t like them so, I mean, it can take a little bit but it’s a process, you know like anything else like homecoming,” Robison said.

While first semester is all about coming up with ideas and making plans, second semester is about being able to put those plans into motion.

“[First semester] we mostly [choose a theme] and decorations, and then in second semester we put our plans into motion. We start looking at decorations and stuff online,” Robison said. “We do have a budget each year so it goes towards the venue.”

This year’s prom was held at a new venue — the Courtyard Banquet Hall. This larger space provided plenty of room for students to dance and mingle. After a couple hours of music and dancing, Prom Royalty was announced. One of the Prom Royalty, junior Ruyter Jamison, shared his thoughts on attending prom and being part of Prom Royalty.

“It was pretty quick. I thought it would be pretty slow but everyone was having fun, everyone was talking and moving around, it was just fun being there with my friends,” Jamison said. “I’m pretty happy that people voted for me and that I was able to walk on stage and get the banner around my waist.”

Jamison also said that he wished the music could have been a bit better, but overall “everything was super fun.”