Hobbies: How do you spend your hours, minutes and days?

Kelsey Blum, Online Editor

As humans, we have things we like to do, called hobbies, and many people have hobbies that they frequently engage in daily. A hobby is something that you choose to take part in voluntarily. Many of us may also have addictions, not to drugs or alcohol, but to the things we might classify as a hobby. An addiction is something that relieves your body. It may not be easy to tell whether your hobby is a hobby or if it has grown into something bigger, like an addiction.

“An addiction to me is something that occurs that you can’t seem to get rid of no matter how hard you try. You can’t stop it,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman engages in many physical activities and considers working out to be one of her hobbies, which she spends about an hour each day doing.

“A hobby is something you enjoy doing on your free time like a fun activity,” said sophomore Kaitlynn Hoffman.

Many students and athletes spend numerous hours a year staying fit for sports. Most hobbies that you may take part in are considerably less time consuming. Hobbies are also done to fulfill a need for pleasure or just for enjoyment.

“You can stop a hobby, [but] an addiction you can’t. I like to dance, coach at Cheer Xpress, and draw. I would say I am addicted to dance because it is something that relieves my stress [from] the whole day, and it is something fun to go do,” Hoffman said. “I love to go to [dance], and I don’t want to stop because it is something unique about me.”

Some may think that an addiction is something that takes place more often than another person. Miya Bryan is a sophomore at LSE, and is involved with cheer both at LSE and Cheer Xpress in Lincoln.

“I would say someone introduced me [to my hobbies. For example] when I started cheer, I went to Miya Bryan’s showcase, and I think that kind of brought me like ‘woah’, that was really cool. Lily Hefner danced at Studio 2, and that is where she persuaded me to go [dance at],” Hoffman said.

Many people find themselves taking in a hobby after they see someone else enjoying it or sharing it with them.

“In order for it to become an addiction, [it] would probably be a year because when something is new, especially a sport, you really need to learn what it is all about before you are like ‘I love this.’ I don’t think it is an addiction right away.”

A hobby may not turn into a hobby right away because you have to get to know it. When you play a sport for the first time you have to learn the rules, what it is about, and how to play it. When you play a video game you have to learn the controls and the tutorial of the game.

“An addiction is some sort of action that you pretty much can’t stop no matter how much you try, you can’t give up. A hobby is something that you may do in your free time that may interest you in some way,” junior Joshua McCue said. “[Personal examples being] I am in orchestra at school, and I typically play games [that are] in the Nintendo genre and E [rated] games, such as Mario or Legend of Zelda. An estimate of [my time playing video games] would be around five hours on a school day, and twelve on a weekend.”

Hobbies may turn into addictions over time as you get used to your activity. Many do not realize that their hobby has turned into an addiction because it may not be looked at that way.