Leadership class donates handmade tie-blankets to Children’s Hospital of Omaha

Landon Heller, Staff Writer

When it came time for members of LSE’s Leadership class to decide on their service project, the group wanted to make a big impact on their community and people in need. Since it was early winter, it was decided that the 18 students in this class – all Student Council members – would make tie blankets to be donated to young children and babies at Children’s Hospital of Omaha.

“We decided to go with a service project that would affect our community versus the Southeast community,” senior STUCO member Whitney Reinmiller said. “In years past we have done hot chocolate in the C-lot parking lot, but this year we decided to go with Children’s Hospital in Omaha.”

Reinmiller said the group got the idea for the tie-blankets after attending a STUCO Conference. The team took the idea a step further and the class ended up cutting, tying and bagging 16 blankets total. There were 18 Student Council members working hard to help kids in need of blankets going into the winter season.

The class voted on this project and by the end of finals week, they delivered the blankets to the hospital.

Their hard work and determination will certainly keep children warm and happy during their hard and frightening times in the hospital. These class members were definitely showing their knight pride and making a good name for Southeast.