The Clarion

Opinion: We should all celebrate Halloween and indulge in the magic of pretending

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lilly Young, Copy Editor

There is an almost tangible magic that arises each Halloween in my neighborhood, bringing my quiet and secluded street to life for a single, wonderful night. Living in a predominantly retired, peaceful cul-de-sac, pulling down the blinds and shutting off the lights is a daily 7 p.m. occurrence. But, on this one evening, all routine is abandoned for the sake of candy and smiling kids in creative costumes.
Originally intended to ward off ghosts at the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced “sow-in”), Halloween evolved into an annual holiday marked by children dressing up in whatever their heart desired and trick-or-treating. However, Halloween also became what some people thought of as a “demonic worshipping” holiday that celebrated evil and encouraged chaos in the streets at night. The bloody-white t-shirts, chainsaws and gory masks donned by teenagers are not always appreciated by everyone.

Even being an extremely sensitive person to anything fear related, I still find a general love for this very real (yes, real) and informal holiday because it’s more than just an excuse to celebrate evil by terrorizing each other with nasty costumes – it’s a way to bridge the gap between our imaginations and the world around us.

Children have their entire lives to become professional, established people expected to earn a salary and pay a mortgage. They are only given, however, a few short years to soak up the childish nature of pretending. As a kid, Halloween was one of the most memorable nights of the year because it brought to life and allowed me to become the characters I had admired for so long in movies and books: fairies from Peter Pan and jedis from Star Wars, pirates from Pirates of the Caribbean and Violet from the Incredibles. Halloween is one of few holidays to encourage creativity through kids, so much of which is destroyed through the current education system. It invites them to create their own costumes out of bed sheets, face paint, nail polish and whatever else they can come up with. This expands their imagination, which above all else, is just fun.

About the Writer
Lilly Young, Copy Editor

Lilly Young is a junior at Lincoln Southeast High School in Lincoln, NE and a staff writer for The Clarion News Team. She thoroughly enjoys reading excessive...

1 Comment

One Response to “Opinion: We should all celebrate Halloween and indulge in the magic of pretending”

1. Joshua McCue on November 1st, 2018 1:09 pm

I absolutely LOVE Halloween and agree with some of your points. I often miss the days when I could dress up as my favorite character in the cheapest costume possible and run around the neighborhood getting sweets and exercise at the same time. Now I stay at home and offer that experience to others while getting into the spirit of Halloween, pun intended.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Opinion: We should all celebrate Halloween and indulge in the magic of pretending

2018-2019

Shazam!: The DC cinematic universe is back with the a well-rounded movie

2018-2019

Curtis Craig honored with local Hall of Fame induction

2018-2019

Opinion: Special Olympics attacked by Betsy DeVos

2018-2019

LSE Spirit Squads complete tryouts, select members for next school year

2018-2019

China’s recycling ban results in a “trashy” situation

2018-2019

Shindig: Digging its way up

2018-2019

LSE Alumni returns with marvelous glass art

2018-2019

Six LSE students recognized for Nebraska’s Young Artist Award

2018-2019

Knights Varsity Baseball gets their first win against Spartans

2018-2019

LSE’s Tampon Drive successfully completes fourth year

The Student News Site of Lincoln Southeast High School