Varsity softball powers on this season

Photo Cred: Pamela Jensen

Alyssa Johnson, Photo Editor

With Districts starting next week, LSE Varsity Softball is powering through their final games of the season. On Saturday, Sept. 22, they took on a double-header against Burke and McCook. After extra innings with Burke, Southeast lost 15-11 on a walk-off grand slam. The second game was far better as Southeast won over McCook 8-1.

Sophomore Karis Gifford (#4) chooses to look toward the future instead of dwelling in the past. “They were both ranked so we earned some points for a wildcard for state,” Gifford said. “There’s been a lot of games where we’ve lost by one, which is kind of frustrating, but it’s just simple errors that we need to fix and then we’ll be good.”

The girls play again on Saturday, Sept. 29 in the Varsity HAC Softball tournament at the Doris Bair Softball Complex. They will be playing Lincoln High, Northstar, and Grand Island. In past games this season with Northstar and Grand Island, the two teams have ended very closely with only one point differences. “[These games are] a time for us to come back and win,” Gifford said.

As the season comes to a close, the team stays encouraged and continues to give their all. “[We’re] trying to play our hardest for our seniors who won’t be there next year,” Gifford said. Come and support the girls this Saturday as they finish off before districts!

Photo cred: Pamela Jensen