The Clarion

Filed under 2018-2019, Faces

Humans of LSE: Abby Cawley

Sometimes, when we are looking around at the world, we notice all the bad things. Deaths, tragedies, and natural disasters all rock our planet on a daily basis. But just when it seems like all hope is lost, senior cross country and track runner, Abby Cawley, still believes the world is good.

“I’m definitely an optimist. If you’re not looking forward to something it seems harder to do it. I’m kind of in that mindset of ‘oh, it’s just one more thing’, and [that motto] makes life smooth,” she says.

Cawley claims that one of the things that keeps her going is cross country, which she has ran since freshman year. “Freshman me didn’t think I was going to run, then it became a bit of an obsession,” she claims. “I also think I’d be surprised that I’m enjoying history classes and doing as well as I think I am. I’ve grown a little bit more in working with people.”

Although she never thought she would participate in the sport, it has taught her a lot and brought so much joy in her life, “It’s an incredible community. It’s a place that you can grow personally, and it’s not so much about the running, but building the team and friendship, and just getting some confidence in yourself.”

Even though Cawley isn’t sure what she wants to study in college quite yet, she is quite calm about the process. However, she hopes to attend a college where she can run cross country and track. Cawley is quickly realizing that a lot of preparation goes into her future, and says it’s hard to look far ahead and apply for countless things like scholarships.

However, Abby Cawley never fails to bring her joyful smile and optimistic personality, which she knows will help get her far in life. “Be thankful, and just look on the bright side.”

About the Writer
Chloe Heller, Design Editor

Chloe Heller is a junior at Lincoln Southeast High School and has been apart of the Clarion staff for three semesters. Outside of writing, she enjoys playing sports like soccer, basketball, and cross country, going to the mountains with her family, and playing with her dog, Bo.