The Clarion

LSE Students participate in the annual Nutcracker ballet and continue a beloved Lincoln tradition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman Ansley Sothan prepares to go on stage in the annual Nutcracker Ballet, put on by the Midwest Ballet Company. The Nutcracker came to the Lied Center Dec. 7 and 8.

Ansley Sothan

Ansley Sothan

Ansley Sothan

Lily Hefner, Opinion Editor

On Dec. 7 and 8, 2018, the Lincoln Midwest Ballet Company put on their annual performance of the Nutcracker, at the Lied Center for Performing Arts. They put on the show three times, once on Friday night and twice on Saturday.

Each year, countless of hours, over 100 cast members are put into this show. Lead roles such as Clara, Snow Queen and the Sugar Plum Fairy have to put in even more hours due to their more difficult and strenuous performances.

“We tryout in September but don’t begin practicing until October leading up to the show,” LSE freshman Ansley Sothan, who was cast as snow core and China lead, said. “Saturdays and Sundays I was there from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.”  

Roles are cast for people from age six all the way up to the 40s. The company even brings in professional dancers to play the principal dancing parts. The preparation process begins with each role or group learning their choreography and eventually putting them all together into two acts.

The Nutcracker is a symbol of tradition. Every costume is passed down each year and resized to fit the new ballerina playing the role. Some costumes are even 25 years old.

The Nutcracker is very meaningful to a lot of people here in Lincoln.

“[It’s] like a family to me. The opportunity you get there is really nice because you don’t find that in other places,” Sothan said.

Looking forward to next year, Sothan is closer to getting a lead as those roles are given to seniors in high school.

About the Writer
Lily Hefner, Staff Writer

Lily Hefner is a junior at Lincoln Southeast High School. She is currently a staff writer and will be on staff for the second year. She is involved in...