Southeast Knights take on Archery Nationals Tournament

Lilly Young, Co-Editor-in-Chief

From Thursday, May 9, to Saturday, May 11, 2019, 13 Lincoln Southeast Knights traveled down to Louisville, Kentucky, and shot in the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) tournament. In order to qualify for Nationals, Southeast had to score at least a 3100 (actually scoring around a 3150) in the State tournament overall, sending their top 13 qualifying students to the NASP tournament.
Sophomore Matthew Gruhn placed 24th out of 2,000 high school boys and 29th out of 7,000 boys overall at NASP. Scoring a 294 out of 300 points possible and setting a new record for Southeast, Gruhn secured his place in the official World “Open Championship” Tournament at the Music City Center in Nashville, Tennessee. If he decides to go, Gruhn will head down on July 25, 2019, returning July 27.

“We did pretty well [at Nationals]. I think there were some people who wanted to shoot higher but I think there are also other people who are really happy with their scores there,” Gruhn said, referencing Southeast’s overall performance in Louisville.

Hailey Cabela, who is also a sophomore at Southeast, shot at NASP and scored a 277, contributing to Southeast’s overall score and enjoying the experience in the process.

“I don’t think we beat our State score. But overall, we did pretty good for barely having enough to make the team and going to Nationals,” Cabela said. “We [shoot] from 10 and 15 meters. My 10 was really good, and on 15, I struggled a little bit, but it was pretty good overall.”

A few of the other students who made their way to Nationals for Southeast were: Cierra Fanders (12), Paige Trevarrow (12), Sam Wagner (11), Alyssa Johnson (12), Mikenna Gerber (9) and Dillon Spieker (12).