Daniel Dougherty: Southeast educator with a passion for mathematics

Zainib Al-Jayashi

LSE teacher, Daniel Dougherty, teaches his students about mathematics.

Zainib Al-Jayashi, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The Math Department here at LSE is a diligent and zealous group of educators. One of those hard-workers include geometry and algebra teacher Daniel Dougherty. 

For Dougherty, there was one subject in school that stood out compared to all the others. 

“In middle school and high school, I always loved mathematics, and I knew I would do something with math,”  Dougherty said. 

However, there was a topic that clicked with Dougherty the most in math. 

“I like geometry. That’s probably my favorite,” Dougherty said. 

Mathematics is more than just a school subject for Dougherty. He believes that math can help students improve in life by using the subject in different experiences, whether it be through problem solving or analyzing. Dougherty hopes that his fascination for math is reflected on to his students. 

“Being passionate about mathematics and showing students that I find it interesting [can] show that there is some purpose for math beyond just what they’re doing in class [and] that they can apply it elsewhere,” Dougherty said. “My ultimate goal is for them to become a better person and mathematics helps them become a better person.” 

Mathematics isn’t the only thing Dougherty has a passion for. While in high school, Dougherty got involved with an unexpected school activity that resulted in a memorable experience. 

“I got involved with drama just out of a whim,” Dougherty said. “Drama made high school so much more enjoyable for me my sophomore year.”

While he has played a great variety of roles during his time in theatre, he definitely has one that he liked best. 

“My favorite role was playing Felix Unger in “The Odd Couple.” That was my favorite role,” Dougherty said. “I was the judge in “Night of January 16th.” That was also a fun role. I was a custodian in “Up the Down Staircase” too.”

Because of Dougherty’s experiences with theatre in high school, he encourages students to step out of their comfort zone and be a little adventurous.

“Take a chance and do something new,” said Dougherty. “Get involved with some activities.” 

Outside of the classroom and the equations, Dougherty enjoys other things from athletics to spending time with his family. 

“My wife and I are both runners. We run every single morning. I also like to spend time with my daughters,” Dougherty said. “I like sports [and] I coach football here. I’ve done that for 35 years.”

Dougherty has been a long-time teacher here at LSE. Sadly though, he is planning to retire after this school year, but his plans after retirement are eventful and exciting. 

“I do want to travel a bit with my wife. Probably doing a little volunteering here and there,” Doughtery said.

For travel plans, he already has a good idea of the places he would like to visit once he can.

“I’ve never been to Washington D.C. That’s the first place that comes to mind. I love Disneyland [and] Disney World, and [I’ve] been there a number of times. Also, maybe spend more time in the mountains. [I] like Colorado, hiking and so forth. And you know, Europe, Australia and Alaska,” Dougherty said. 

Coming back to a local and familiar place, Dougherty thinks highly of Lincoln Southeast. He has many positive feelings towards the school and the aspects of it. 

“I know I’m lucky to be at Southeast. It is a great school, and there are great kids here,” Dougherty said. “I’m so fortunate. Southeast is the place to be.”