Sophomore Jessica Elliot takes newly changed driving test

Mom

Jessica Elliot posing for family photos

Callie Cook, Staff Writer

The pressure is on. Her mother in the backseat of the car. Will she pass the drivers test? Jessica (Jesse) Elliot,a 10th grader at LSE, recently took her driving test. Due to COVID 19, they had to change the ways of the test.  Now one must have a parent or guardian with them in the car as the test is being taken, with the driving instructor. For many people, including Elliot, it is nerve wracking. 

“I was nervous, but I felt relieved because I practiced driving a lot so there was not that much to be worried about,” Elliot said.

The driving tests before COVID 19 were just a little different from how they are now. Before, it was only the driver and the one instructor, due to the pandemic test takers are now required to wear a mask at all times while in the car, and you are required to have a parent or guardian with them. It may cause people to be more nervous, or less nervous depending on how comfortable they are. Elliot was not so nervous, as for she was confident in her driving skills. 

“I practiced driving right when I got my license. I mostly drove with my mom, so my mom came with me in the car when I was taking my driving test,” Elliot said.

Driving can be nerve-wracking for many people. The thought of driving a car by yourself, knowing how many accidents happen everyday, can be a scary thought. According to Wikipedia, and New York Times, 102 crashes happen per day in the U.S. For new drivers, many are told by their instructor to not drive with more than two people in the car, because it can be a distraction and possibly end in a car crash. The more people in the car, the more lives are at stake. Elliot was told the same thing by her instructor. 

“I love driving,” Elliot said. “I am comfortable with myself because I practiced a lot. Driving gives me more freedom.”

For the people who have an older sibling that drives, they have seen and heard mistakes to not make. Elliot has an older sibling who drives, she has seen mistakes not to make. People with older siblings tend to ride with them a lot, seem to think they know a lot more about driving than people that do not have siblings.

According to Statista, in 1983, 46.2 percent of people got their license at the age of 16, By 2018, there was a huge decline, leaving that statistic at only 25.6 percent. According to AAA Newsroom survey, 40.8 percent people ages 18-24 said they had gotten their license before or shortly after they had turned 16. 60.3 percent got their license before they had turned 18. 

One piece of advice Elliot has for teenagers about to take the driving test is,“Don’t be nervous. Take deep breaths. Remind yourself that you have driven before. Make sure to give it your all!” Elliot said.