Nite of Knights returns for its 65th anniversary

Maren Steinke, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Next week, the annual performance of Lincoln Southeast High School’s (LSE) Nite of Knights will return. This long-standing tradition of displaying students’ talents on stage in the Jennifer L. Dorsey-Howley Performing Arts Center was canceled for the first time since its start 65 years ago when the COVID-19 pandemic caused the show to shut down last year. Now it’s back again, and while the performers will be wearing masks and space out on stage, audience members can expect to again see highly entertaining acts and talented performers on stage Thursday, Feb. 3 and Friday, Feb. 4.

Senior Marielle Hinrichs is in two acts this year, singing a solo and singing with the LSE choir group Ars Nova, accompanied by a jazz combo. Hinrichs has been involved in the drama program since her freshman year when she participated in a one-act show, but this is her first time participating in Nite of Knights. One of the best parts of being a member of the performing arts community at LSE to her, is the people. 

“With anything in performing at Southeast, I think the most rewarding part is the community. [With] a lot of activities I know it can be hard to find your people,” Marielle said. “I think performing arts is just down-to-earth people that are fun to be around and we’re all working towards something and have the same goals.” 

Nite of Knights is an entertaining and unique event for students to display their talents and come together as a community. Audience members have the opportunity to learn more about their peers, and those who perform have an opportunity to share their gifts with others. This event is a staple in the drama and music community at LSE, and the importance of Nite of Knights was especially shown when it was canceled. LSE Band Instructor Richard Metteer has organized this show for many years and is again helping with it this year. Metteer is glad the show is running this year, in spite of the COVID-19 restrictions. According to Metteer, the cancellation of last years’ event was another lost opportunity for students due to the pandemic.

“It was particularly negative for students outside our dept. that don’t have as many performance opportunities as students who performed end of year concerts somewhat normally,” Metteer said.

Nite of Knights helps raise money for the whole Performing Arts program at LSE, with money going to the band, choir, and theatre branches. Whether you want to attend to see a friend perform, support the Performing Arts programs, or simply enjoy a delightful display of student talent, all are welcome to come!

The show runs on Feb. 3-4 (Thursday and Friday, respectively) beginning at 7 pm in the Jennifer L. Dorsey-Howley Performing Arts center. Student tickets are $5.00, and adult tickets are $8.00.