LNS transfer adds another layer to the LSE Varsity Basketball roster

Jake Hilkemann helped the Knights top their win total from last year

Jarod Cada, Sports Editor

A steady start for the Knights Varsity Basketball team shows their toughness and grit through a challenging schedule. Junior Jake Hilkemann proves to be a key role in the big wins by providing defense and adding scorers to the Knights roster.

Hilkemann, who is a transfer from Lincoln North Star, played with the Knights during the summer and created chemistry with his teammates. Starting on varsity as a freshman at North Star proved to be helpful for his play throughout his sophomore season and now his junior season as a Knight.

A few key wins by the Knights against Lincoln East, Omaha Westside and Lincoln Pius X, are where Hilkemann truly shined. He may not have made a big mark on the box score, but his defense, passing and playing team ball, helped boost them to a win. His teammates see him as a welcome addition to the team due to his all-around play and positive attitude. 

Senior Bangot Dak says Hilkemann’s positivity and knowing his role really helped the team accept him as a player and as a teammate. Hilkemann has shot the ball well and provided an extra layer of defense to toughen up the Knights in the paint. Dak, who plays down low with Hilkemann as a center, expressed how good of a teammate he is and how he just wants the team to win at the end of the day. 

Although he quickly built relationships with his teammates at LSE, Hilkemann said it wasn’t easy to move on from North Star because of the connections he had there.

“I really liked having a lot of friends at North Star,” Hilkemann said. 

Having to part ways with his peers made it tough for Hilkemann to leave, but he wanted a fresh start and a different role at Southeast. 

“I started as a freshman at Northstar I was just kind of the role guy, but coming out my sophomore year, I really had to do a lot. At Southeast I feel more free, like I don’t have to put it all on the line each game I can rely on my teammates to make plays,” Hilkemann said.

He seemed to be more of the leading scorer or the “guy” at Northstar, but he enjoys knowing he doesn’t have to lead the team on the stat sheet; he just has to play basketball. He likes being able to play more freely and open because it makes the game more fun for Hilkemann. 

“At Southeast we have a little more guys that can score, so I think that just by doing my role, we all do our jobs. That’s what makes us really good,” Hilkemann said. 

Because Hilkemann recognizes the importance of teamwork. His willingness to play for his team is prominent in his overall character. Hilkemann knew coming in that he wasn’t going to be the number one scoring option, but he was okay with that. His ultimate desire was to play freely and play for his team. 

Other teammates, like senior Wade Voss, have also had good things to say about Hilkemann and his character, as well as his basketball ability. 

“We accepted [him] right away. I think a lot of the guys on the team have already known him, so it wasn’t anything crazy,” Voss said. “Jake’s definitely just one of our better players. He’s had a really good year so far.” 

Despite the obstacles that may arise throughout any basketball season, Hilkemann seeks to play past the blocks and sticks close to his team in any way he can. Although he has settled onto the new team and has been immersed into the different dynamic, the drive to win still lies within him.

Even if Hilkemann is no longer a Gator, his respect for the players at North Star still remains. His transfer to Southeast was to truly grasp a “fresh start” and to explore the accomplishments he can achieve as an athlete. Southeast has provided Hilkemann with a new home and a new dynamic to rely on to better his game.

Transferring to a new school may be drastic for some, but Hilkemann’s change in direction just may be his winning shot.