Dunks for Dollars event raises money for LSE Special Olympics

Caitlynn Cook, Copy Editor

LSE’s annual Dunks for Dollars has, in the last several years, quickly become a very popular event for students, staff, and community members to attend. But what exactly is it and how did it start?

Dunks for Dollars is an evening full of baskets and fundraising. It originally began as a fundraiser for STAC (Students Together Against Cancer), and the tradition continued when the Acts of Kindness Club took over. This year it was held on Wednesday, March 21 in Prasch Gym. The Project Unify Team kicked off the first game at 6:30. The second game featured 30+ staff members. During the event, the pep band, cheer, Shirettes, and Step Chain all performed

It cost $3 to attend the game, with all proceeds going to LSE Special Olympics in honor of long-time Special Education teacher Sandra Babcock.

The Acts of Kindness club is so thankful for everyone that has signed up over the years to play”, said club sponsor Mrs. Krueger. “The LSE Acts of Kindness Club was a club started this spring to give students the opportunity to have time to organize events and do things for others.”

This was the third year that Dunks for Dollars has taken place and each year has seen a steady increase in participation. The staff game was coached by English teacher Paul Smith and PE/Health teacher Jeff Smith. The teams and coaches had some fun with friendly banter before the game to encourage students to come watch.

The final score of the game was 49-46, and Team Paul Smith won. So far, the amount raised is $4,423 dollars.

This year’s game was very fun and successful. Let’s hope for another exciting game next year.